Sunday 31 August 2014

Eastern Veil Nebula

This image is part of the veil nebula complex in the constellation of Cygnus. A few weeks ago I took a try to the Western Veil (Witch's broom nebula). Today I bring the other main part of the nebula located south of the previous one and enclosing the spherical residual of a supernova that exploded between 5,000 to 8,000 years ago. The Eastern Veil (also known as Caldwell 33)  brightest area is NGC 6992, trailing off farther east into NGC 6995 and IC 1340.

The image is composed by 45x150' lights, 40 darks, 40 bias, 40 flats and 40 dark flats tracking but not guiding with the ETX-70 (refractor 70mm) mounted on the HEQ-5 with an unmoded Nikon d3100. The processing (quite agressive) was performed  with StarTools and Photoshop. I don't fully understand yet the color module of StarTools  so I raised a little the color saturation on PS.

This was a tough one. I would say that the toughest I've doneutil the date. Not for taking the pictures themselves, that being such a faint object on visible light was tricky enough, but for the processing. The images were taking under severe light pollution and the tracking and phocus was not so good. This joined with the ETX-70 and its halo and coma made it quite difficult to process. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the result.

Enjoy!


And the annotated image:


No comments:

Post a Comment